Presmed Australia Facilities (PMA) are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and other relevant laws about how private health service providers handle personal information.
We are committed to complying with applicable privacy laws which govern how PMA collects, uses, discloses and stores your personal information.
PMA will collect your personal information for the purpose of providing you with health care and for directly related purposes. For example, PMA may collect, use or disclose personal information:
- For use by a multidisciplinary team;
- To liaise with health professionals, Medicare or your health fund;
- In an emergency where your life is at risk and you cannot consent;
- To manage our facilities, including for processes relating to risk management, safety and security activities and quality assurance and accreditation activities;
- For the education of health care workers;
- To maintain medical records as required under our policies and by law; or
- For other purposes required or permitted by law.
Personal information may be shared between PMA to coordinate your care. We also outsource some of our services. This may involve us sharing your personal information with third parties.
We may outsource information and data storage services (including archiving or medical records) which may involve storing that information outside of Australia. Where we outsource our services we take reasonable steps in the circumstances to ensure that third parties, including organizations outside of Australia have obligations under their contracts with PMA to comply with all laws relating to the privacy (including security) and confidentiality of your personal information.
PMA will usually collect your personal information directly from you, but sometimes may need to collect it form someone else (for example, a relative or another health service provider). We will only do this if you have consented or where your life is at risk and we need to provide emergency treatment.
We will not use or disclose your personal information to any other persons or organizations for any other purpose unless:
- You have consented;
- The use or disclosure is for a purpose directly relating to providing you with health care and you would expect us to use of disclose your personal information in this way;
- We have told you that we will disclose your personal information to other organizations or persons; or
- We are permitted or required to do so by law.
You have the right to access your personal information in your health record. You can also request an amendment to your health record should you believe that it contains inaccurate information.